Friday, March 12, 2004

Bush Doo-Dads

Two days it seemed like such a good idea to allow legions of Bush supporters to use a nifty online tool to customize posters of praise for Steady Leader. Well, more than a few people must have created flattering placards like mine because creativity is no longer allowed. I'm bummed because I had a few more ideas. The free-form message creator has been supplanted with a generic list from which you can designate yourself as a member of a "coalition" group like "African-Americans" or "First Responders" for Bush/Cheney '04.

Interestingly, I didn't see the "Gays for Bush" option.

It's funny to me that supporters can classify themselves into a few pre-defined groups, but there's no way to create a placard that simply says "AMERICANS for Bush." I guess that whole "uniting not dividing" thing didn't work out.

Since I couldn't create any new posters I perused the rest of the site. The Bushies definitely have Kerry's web site beat for offering cool little doo-dads you can paste on your site. Bush also provides slick banners and other cool propagandistic eye candy. John Kerry doesn't (yet?) have such accoutrement.

One thing Kerry's site does offer though which Bush's does not is the ability to comment in official blog. I guess the Bushies really aren't interested in a dialog. Or, maybe as with the poster creator, they're just afraid what people might say.

Update: On further reflection I decided I didn't want any official Bush propaganda here, even if I was poking fun at it. I removed the Bush headline doo-dad from my side bar.