Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Bloggin & Scrappin

What can I say? It was an NPR kind of day.

On the way home from work this story on the resurgent scrapping craze got me thinking about the similarities between blogging and scrap booking.

Both my wife and my mom busily work to arrange photographic memories that neatly, concisely, and wonderfully record the events of our families' lives. They can spend hours to compose a few pages. But the results are spectacular. They choose just the right combination of pictures to preserve a birthday, vacation, or an endearing moment.

Blogging, in a way, is similar. I can spend hours surfing around reading events of the day. When I finally find a little snippet that catches my eye my little posts are snapshots of my thinking at a particular moment in time. My posts are decidedly less familial than the scrap books my wife and mom create. But, they do, in a way, document public and political events that make some sort of impression.

One main difference, of course, is that in 20 years no one will be perusing old blog entries to see what I was nattering on about back in 2004. But thankfully, in 20 years, we'll have my wife's and my mom's handiwork to help us fondly remember the memories we're creating today.