Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Jockeying for the Nighthorse Seat Begins

Ben Nighthorse Campbell's announcement that he is going to retire is keeping some people at work late tonight. I just got off the phone with my friendly neighborhood pollster asking my opinions on potential candidates to succeed Campbell. Hard to tell by the questions asked whether the poll was for the benefit of the Republicans or the Democrats. But since the pollster specifically asked to speak with the adult male of the household I assume they were interested in the testosterone vote. Here are the names that were mentioned.

Democrats: Rutt Bridges, Mark Udall (CO-02)
Republicans: Bob Beauprez (CO-07), Marilyn Musgrave (CO-04), Scott McInnis (CO-03), Tom Tancredo (CO-06), Interior Secretary Gail Norton, Governor Bill Owens and...wait for it...John Elway (Broncos #7).

Rutt Bridges was the only name with which I was not already familiar so I got a little background from the Denver Post.

Incidentally, it is not a lock that Owens will run because of his "family issues." He and his wife are on the outs. Allegedly it's because of an affair and a possible love child. I don't necessarily think those are disqualifying characteristics. But the voters in the GOP primary probably will.