Saturday, May 22, 2004

Those Amazing Republican Rubes

You really have to hand it to the GOP. The party of strong national defense. The party of adults and foreign policy acumen. They've done it again. And they really have outdone themselves.

After all, I thought it would be hard to top Ronald Reagan. But I have to admit, Bush has outdone the master.

Reagan famously said that the United States would never negotiate with terrorists. Apparently he meant some other United States. Or maybe by negotiate he meant something other than giving terrorists weapons in exchange for American hostages.

Some strategy.

But, not to be outdone by Daddy's old boss, Dubya has invented another new way to make America look silly while simultaneously putting American lives at risk.

Bush's strategy for protecting America is to pay people to spy against us.

Well, I have to admit, it's certainly an approach that I wouldn't have thought of.

But then I probably also would have missed an opportunity to enhance American security by having one of my senior administration officials vengefully out a covert CIA operative.

And it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to put American soldiers lives at risk by failing to fully plan, fully fund, or fully reinforce the armed forces while having them invade another country under false pretenses.

And I'm going out on a limb here. But I don't think it would have occurred to me that I could improve America's standing around the world by opting out of numerous international protocols, including the Geneva Convention, while simultaneously having my lawyer instruct my defense secretary to order the torture and abuse of innocent non-combatants in the aforementioned country that we invaded under false pretenses.

Whew! It's a good thing I'm not president cause I just don't seem to have the creativity that it takes to really succeed in the job. Thanks George for all you do. I can't wait for the next encore.