Thursday, June 03, 2004

Big Time Political Shindig

The road to Washington D.C. runs through my parents' living room. Invoking the names of North Carolina politicians Harvey Gantt and John Edwards, my father introduced Democratic Senate candidate Mike Miles to a few dozen guests in his home. It was great to hear a dedicated public servant like Mike Miles speak about what motivates his quest for elective office and his ideas on how to confront some of the problems our nation faces.

But it was an even bigger treat for me to hear my father's introductory remarks in front of a not insignificant audience. My dad spoke eloquently of how his own experience as an army officer and educator informed his decision to support fellow educator and army officer Mike Miles. He weaved in a little North Carolina political history and even drew a laugh from the assembled crowd at one point. I haven't often heard my dad orate. I was impressed. And very proud.