Friday, June 25, 2004

Bush Woos Liberals With New Attack Ad

The Bush-Cheney campaign has a new ad called "Coalition of the Wild-Eyed." I guess it's supposed to be a Kerry attack ad. But I think it's actually a pretty compelling pro-Kerry ad -- until the last five seconds at least. At that point it descends into satire and I burst out laughing while looking for the SNL logo.

Is this ad actually being broadcast on TV? I didn't here the ubiqutous "I'm Dubya and I approve this message" so maybe it's just an Internet advert? The website says it's a "tv ad" but I just can't believe they're actually paying money to broadcast that.

Then again I'm definitely not the target audience for this ad. But it seems to me that the only people who are going to find this ad effective -- in a pro-Bush sense -- are those who already think Gore, Moore, Gep, and MoveOn.org are instruments of the devil (i.e. the GOP base). The ad seems just as likely to fire up anti as well as pro-Bush audiences. Is that an effective use of ad dollars?