Tuesday, February 24, 2004

"They Ought To Be Held Accountable"

It's somewhat gratifying to have my ideas echoed in the national press AFTER I've thought them. It doesn't happen often. But the Washington Post gives my psyche a boost with this front page headline: White House Forecasts Often Miss The Mark. The story deals much more succinctly with a topic I addressed in a lengthy post here. Though I wasn't quoted, they found someone else to express my thoughts.
"They ought to be held accountable for not taking seriously what happened to the jobs numbers," said Lee Price, research director for the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal think tank.
Appropriately, author Dana Milbank resurrects Bush's "trifecta" line. Actually, it's Gore's line from the 2000 campaign, never actually uttered by Bush until after 9/11. It's appropriate that in an article on accountability Milbank alludes to yet another one of Bush's documented lies. And it's definitely not a coincidence since Milbank was on the trifecta story 18 months ago.