Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Prayer of John Adams

Reaction to John Edwards' speech last night has been quite positive. I thought it was a good speech that had some great moments. According to multiple sources Edwards went through nearly 30 drafts of the speech which he himself wrote. [What! Some politicians still write their own speeches? I'm aghast.]

Poking around I found an earlier draft of the vice presidential nominee's speech. Apparently, a couple of lines were deemed too negative for this convention. Nevertheless, though Edwards didn't deliver it, I find highlights of the speech still surprisingly applicable. and well worth remembering.
...I have been given an opportunity to serve beside a man who has the courage, and the vision, and the goodness, to be a great president...I have been in the company of leaders...I saw how character and decency can dignify a great office and unite a great nation.

...[My running mate] earned the respect and confidence of the men and women of America's armed forces.

...I see in our nominee the qualities of mind and spirit our nation needs, and our history demands. Big changes are coming to Washington. To serve with this man, in this cause, is a chance I would not miss. This country has given me so much opportunity.

...We can restore the ideals of honesty and honor that must be a part of our national life, if our children are to thrive. When I look at the administration now in Washington, I am dismayed by opportunities squandered. Saddened by what might have been, but never was.

...[My running mate] will repair what has been damaged. He is a man without pretense and without cynicism. A man of principle, a man of honor. On the first hour of the first day he will restore decency and integrity to the Oval Office. He will show us that national leaders can be true to their word and that they can get things done by reaching across the partisan aisle, and working with political opponents in good faith and common purpose.

...In this election, they will speak endlessly of risk. We will speak of progress. They will make accusations. We will make proposals. They will feed fear. We will appeal to hope. They will offer more lectures, and legalisms, and carefully worded denials. We offer another way, a better way, and a stiff dose of truth.

...[They] have extended our military commitments while depleting our military power. Rarely has so much been demanded of our armed forces, and so little given to them in return. [We] are going to change that, too. I have seen our military at its finest, with the best equipment, the best training, and the best leadership. I'm proud of them. [My running mate] has had the responsibility for their well-being. And I can promise them now, help is on the way. Soon, our men and women in uniform will once again have a commander in chief they can respect, one who understands their mission and restores their morale.

...If the goal is to unite our country, to make a fresh start in Washington, to change the tone of our politics, can anyone say with conviction that the man for the job is [George W. Bush]?

...Ladies and gentlemen, we are so privileged to be citizens of this great republic...where John Adams once prayed "that none but honest and wise men may ever rule under this roof."

...This is a great country, ladies and gentlemen, and it deserves great leadership. Let us go forth from this hall in confidence and courage, committed to restoring decency and honor to our republic. Let us go forth, knowing that our cause is just.

...Thank you.
Source.